Madison, Wis. – St. Mary’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald House opened Wisconsin’s first Ronald McDonald Family Room on September 24th.
“Last year we announced a wonderful partnership which would bring a Ronald McDonald Family Room to our community,” says Dr. Frank Byrne, President of St. Mary’s Hospital. “Thanks to everyone’s generosity and support, we are already putting the finishing touches on the project and are ready to open and serve those families who need us most.”
The Family Room, built on the third floor of St. Mary’s, is designed as a place of respite for families of critically ill children and is just steps away from the hospital’s pediatrics and neonatal intensive care units.
“The Family Room will complement the current Ronald McDonald House in Madison which serves families of hospitalized children who live outside a 50-mile radius. The Family Room at St. Mary’s will be open to children’s families regardless of how far they are from home,” says Kevin Huddleston, Executive Director of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Madison.
Among the largest in the country, the Family Room at St. Mary’s will feature four sleep rooms, each with a private bathroom and shower; computers along with free wireless internet; laundry facilities; a dining area; as well as a kitchen stocked with complimentary food and beverages. In addition, families will be able to retreat to a quiet room for privacy, recharge electronics, or ask the volunteer on hand for assistance. All of these amenities – including use of the sleeping rooms – are provided at no cost to the family.
A total of $1 million was raised for the project and volunteers are a crucial part of what keeps it running. If you or someone you know would like to volunteer, please visit: RMHCMadison.org.
Come and tour the Ronald McDonald Family Room as part of St. Mary's 100th birthday party on Sunday, September 23, from noon until 4p. This is a one time chance as once the Family Room opens it will not be open to the general public.
Ronald McDonald Family Room at a Glance
- The Family Room is as a complement to the Ronald McDonald House in Madison
- Serves families who have the most critical needs “when two miles is too far” to be away from their child
- Will help families from Madison as well as other areas of South Central Wisconsin
- Not meant for long-term stay
- Feels more like a home than a hospital
- Supervised by volunteers
- Supported by local donors
Family Room Fast Facts
- First of its kind in Wisconsin
- Among the largest in the country
- Located on the third floor of St. Mary’s Hospital
- 3,500 sq ft of space including – 4 sleep rooms each with a private bathroom and shower; a living area complete with television, computers, wireless internet; a kitchen with complimentary food and beverages; quiet room for private moments; and laundry facilities.
- Total cost: $1 million reached thanks to ~$250,000 donation from the St. Mary’s Foundation Board, $100,000 from St. Mary’s employees, $50,000 from St. Mary’s volunteers, $70,000 from an anonymous donor and ~$500,000 from other members of the community.