St. Mary’s Well-Known for its Nursing Excellence
St. Mary’s attained an elite status in 2011 when they were designated as a Magnet® hospital for the third time in a row. Less than 1% of the nation’s 6,000 hospitals have done the same.
Magnet hospitals are considered “the gold standard” of nursing. Their emphasis on quality, innovation and collaboration tends to lead to better outcomes, high patient satisfaction and a more stable workforce.
Well-known as a leader in nursing, St. Mary’s was first designated as a Magnet hospital in 2002. Since then, the hospital has demonstrated the continuous quality improvement that is required of hospitals of this caliber.
In particular, St. Mary’s earned kudos from reviewers for:
- sustaining high patient satisfaction scores
- empowering nursing staff
- strong partnerships in the community.
What is Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Services?
It is an award given by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the nation’s largest and foremost nursing accrediting and credentialing organization.
The Magnet Recognition Program for Excellence in Nursing Services was developed to recognize superior quality of care and nursing excellence.
Why is “Magnet” status important?
Magnet hospitals act as a “magnet” for excellence.
Magnet-designated nursing organizations:
- Offer an environment that attracts and retains the best and brightest nurses in the profession.Research demonstrates that Magnet facilities consistently out perform their peers in recruiting and retaining nurses.
- Employ nurses who continuously develop their expertise
- Support professional growth and development of their nurses
- Have a nursing leadership structure that embraces the value of nurses and empowers them. Research shows that core values such as empowerment, pride, mentoring, nurturing, respect, integrity and teamwork are demonstrated in Magnet facilities.
- Meet the nations highest standards for nursing excellence
- Attract high quality physicians and specialists
What Magnet Recognition means for patients/consumers:
- Helps patients and consumers identify health care organizations that have a proven level of excellence in nursing care (Magnet-designated facilities).
- Provides consumers with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care they can expect to receive.
The Magnet Recognition Program elevates the standards of the nursing profession.