Years of Enrollment:
October 15, 1923 to May 5, 1974
Number of graduates = 1,491
"...Nursing...and if it is to be made an art, requires as exclusive a devotion, as hard a preparation as any painter's or sculptor's work...both by practical teaching and by simple experiments in as far as these illustrate what may be called the theory of it...Nurses should be trained in hospitals for this purpose."
- Florence Nightingale
On October 15, 1923 St. Mary's Training School for Nurses commenced and dedicated its existence to the service of mankind for the love of God.
Seven wide-eyed young women were admitted as probationers and with their fashionable boyish bobs, donned the striped dress, white pinafore, black stockings and shoes and white cap.
The curriculum included nursing titles with special courses on hospital housekeeping, sanination and housing, and massage.
Students initially worked a seven-day week with about 56 hours of duty and class and received a $10 per month stipend.
The school maintained Wisconsin State Accreditation through the years. The constant improvement of the program have prepared nurses who have served well in maintaining the reputation of excellent health care.