1912- The original hospital building opened less than a year after the cornerstone was laid in October 1911. A heating plant and laundry facility were in a separate building, connected to the hospital by a large tunnel.
1923- The hospital organized classrooms and equipment within the hospital and neighborhood to open a School of Nursing. These facilities were used until a comprehensive school and dormitory opened in 1944.
1926- The hospital’s original capacity for 70 patients was quickly outgrown, so the sisters added the North Wing, South Wing, a chapel and a new front entrance. Bed capacity rose to 175. The chapel, on the back side of the hospital, was razed in 1973 to make way for the West Wing.
1944- Sacred Heart Hall was dedicated, providing a new home for what’s now called St. Mary’s School of Nursing. In 1974, when the school closed, the building’s name was changed to Alumni Hall.
1944- Wingra Hall, a new convent on Mills Street, provided a home for the sisters outside of the hospital and freed up much-needed hospital space. It was later razed, in phases beginning in 1971, for construction of the West Wing, which opened in 1975.
1948- The South Wing’s first-floor extension added bright new space for the new Pediatrics Department.
1956- Marian Hall was opened at the corner of Brooks and Erin streets as housing for medical interns and students of St. Mary’s schools for medical and radiologic technology. It was razed in 1995 to make way for expansion of the ER.
1956- The South Wing’s second-floor extension added space above the 1948 extension.
1957- A boiler house and service building opened, including the laundry, sewing room and physical plant department. A new structure was built in 1975, and this one was torn down in 1990 to make way for the Southwest Wing.
1962- A two-level addition to the southwest side of the hospital opened, adding patient rooms, admini-strative and maintenance space and the loading dock. Much of this addition was later incorporated into the 1993 construction of the Southwest Wing.
1967 - The Northwest Wing opened.
1971- A temporary, one-story Southeast Wing opened, easing the bed shortage while the West Wing was under construction. In 1988, well after its planned 10-year lifespan, the addition became more permanent with the construction of the attached Surgery and Care Center. Both structures were deconstructed in 2008.
1974- A physical therapy gymnasium and treatment facility opened parallel to the North Wing. It was later razed to make way for the East Wing.
1975- The West Wing opened, along with a new St. Mary’s chapel, and the main entrance changed from Brooks Street to Mills Street. The project added Assembly Hall and a pedestrian tunnel under Mills Street. During construction, the chapel had a temporary home on a lower level of the hospital.
1975- A new structure housing the physical plant office and energy-generating facility opened.
1980- St. Mary’s purchased a gas station at 999 South Park Street and converted it to the EMS Training Center.
1980- Parking lot space began to be allocated as needed for helicopter transport. An official helipad was constructed in 1987 near the Mills Street parking ramp.
1982- What’s now known as St. Mary’s Adult Day Health Center first opened in the former Hoyt School on Regent Street. It then moved to a University Avenue location before settling in its current location at St. Bernard’s Parish on Atwood Avenue.
1986- St. Mary’s Hospital and what is now called Meriter Hospital collaborated to build and operate Turville Bay Center on John Nolen Drive. Originally providing only magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the facility has expanded to include radiation oncology.
1987- The Mills Street parking ramp and helipad opened, providing convenience for employees, visitors and patients alike. In 2001, 100 more parking stalls resulted from the addition of a third level.
1989- The Surgery and Care Center, jointly operated with Dean Clinic, opened next to St. Mary’s Hospital. Six pediatric specialty clinics, formerly in the basement of Alumni Hall, made their home in this building as well. After day surgical services were integrated into the 2008 expansion, this building was deconstructed to make way for The Gardens of St. Mary’s.
1990- St. Mary’s Child Care Center, to meet the needs of employees, was opened at the corner of Wingra Drive and Orchard Street.
1990- St. Mary’s purchased the Arbor View Health Care Center on Fish Hatchery Road and renamed it St. Mary’s Care Center, providing long-term nursing care and rehabilitation services. Less than a decade earlier, the hospital had planned Maryville Retirement Community for those 55 and older to be built at the corner of Fish Hatchery and McKee roads. The project was abandoned to redirect resources to geriatric medical care.
1993- The multi-level Southwest Wing opened, providing a new main entrance from Mills Street.
1997- St. Mary’s first “healing garden,” nestled behind Alumni Hall, was dedicated. The idea to build the garden came from employees.
2002- St. Mary’s Care Center relocated to a brand new facility on Maple Grove Road in southwest Madison. A capital campaign raised $2 million in community support.
2003- St. Mary’s Renal Center opened in its own facility on Index Road.
2004- A two-story addition to the existing Southwest Wing opened as part of a 10-year facilities plan.
2006- St. Mary’s Sleep Center opened in its own facility on Index Road.
2008- Nearly doubling the size of the hospital, the East Wing opened, and the main entrance moved from Mills Street back to its original orientation on Brooks Street. The expansion included a parking ramp dedicated to patients and visitors, a rooftop garden, a rooftop helipad and an expanded plant to service the larger campus. A capital campaign raised $8.3 million in support from the community. Ensuing renovations to the existing building “married” the old and the new environments through design and décor.
2008-2009- The Dean & St. Mary’s Outpatient Center on Park Street opened in stages.
2009- The stand-alone St. Mary’s Sun Prairie Emergency Center opened along Highway 151 as a satellite emergency department of the hospital, providing faster access to medical care for residents northeast of Madison.
2010- The Gardens of St. Mary’s were completed, thanks to funding through St. Mary’s Foundation. The 1926 arch that creates a symbolic entrance, at the corner of Brooks Street and Delaplaine Court, had formerly adorned the hospital’s main entrance on Brooks Street.
2011- Business Services moved to a new building on Nobel Road in Fitchburg as it became a regional resource for all five SSM Health Care facilities in Wisconsin. 2012- The Ronald McDonald Family Room is under construction on St. Mary’s third floor.